- This event has passed.
Fashion Lab New York: Upcycle Couture Fashion and Sewing Workshop
July 17 @ 9:00 am - July 21 @ 4:00 pm
Youth ages 12 – 16
FLNY Upcycle Couture Fashion and Sewing focuses on art, sustainability, sewing and fashion inspired by famous paintings of women. In this camp, sewing will be your paintbrush while you transform thrifted garments into new works of art. We will explore each painting to generate ideas and celebrate these amazing artist’s work. The week will also include a docent tour of The Hyde Collection and a field trip to the Shirt Factory.
We will draw inspiration from their various styles to influence us and utilize our thrifted clothing to create a new fashion. Our one-of-a-kind camp will teach campers how to sew, design and style their own garments and accessories in one week. A small camp size allows each camper to get the attention and tools they need to design and create. Camp ends with a Fashion Show for parents and friends! Some sewing experience is necessary.
WHAT WILL MY CHILD LEARN IN UPCYCLING COUTURE SEWING CAMP?
- LIFE IMITATING ART!
- Campers will learn to be creative and resourceful as they re-purpose gently used clothing and trims into stylish new fashion items while being inspired by works of art.
- Campers will absorb valuable lessons in geometry, composition, proportion and color theory as they explore creative hand and machine sewing, embroidery and more!
- They will learn about the artists and the history behind the paintings.
- They will be empowered about doing their part in reducing our carbon footprint.
- They will explore making products from materials sourced sustainably helping them grow into responsible consumers and strong stewards of our planet.
Full days: July 17 – 21, 9 am – 4 pm $475
Half days: July 17 – 21, 9 am – 12pm or 1 pm – 4pm $250
Scholarships available, click here to apply.