Hyde House reopens; new art on display
The Hyde Collection announces the reopening of Hyde House following several weeks of closure for major roof repairs.
According to Erin Coe, the Museum’s deputy director of curatorial affairs and programming, while the roofing was being replaced, work on the interior of the house included a thorough cleaning of the house and painting of selected areas. “The exterior project provided us with the perfect opportunity to do some minor updating to the rooms inside,” said Coe.
Visitors to the recently reopened Museum will see some different works on paper than were on display when the house closed in March for the repairs. In the Dining Room, a Rembrandt van Rijn pen and ink drawing, titled Two Men Shaking Hands, ca. 1635, is now on view and in the Downstairs Guest Room, Winslow Homer’s watercolor St. John’s River, 1890, is installed over the fireplace. In the Green Guest Room, two works on paper -- a drawing by Francois Boucher titled Vertumnus and Pomona, ca. 1763, and Camille Pissarro’s Sous-Bois, 1862 -- are on display. In addition, the Douglass Crockwell painting, Paper Workers, Finch, Pruyn & Co., 1934, has been returned to Hyde House’s second floor Birdsall Gallery.
The Nineteenth Annual Regional Juried High School Art Exhibition, which ended on May 23, is currently being deinstalled to make way for the Museum’s major 2010 exhibition – Andrew Wyeth: An American Legend – which opens for members on June 12 and to the general public on Sunday, June 13. In addition to the exhibition of more than forty-five works by this famous American artist, The Hyde will also host a number of Wyeth Weekends throughout the summer as part of a larger Celebrating Wyeth’s America series of performances, exhibitions, and events, all centered around the Wyeth theme.